Off-duty firefighter saves child from burning home using garden hose

Kim J. Clark

An off-responsibility firefighter saved a 3-12 months-outdated neighbor from her family’s burning house in Brooklyn — applying just a garden hose, he recalled to The Put up on Tuesday.

City Bravest Stefon Douglas, 33, said he was headed property right after doing the job at Motor 276 on Sunday evening when he spotted smoke “puffing from the rear of the dwelling that was on fire.

“I commenced working in the direction of a household,” he reported.

Douglas explained he then remembered he had an oxygen mask and tank in his motor vehicle mainly because he had not too long ago applied them as a prop for learners at a school job working day.

“I grabbed [the equipment] from my trunk and set it on,” he claimed.

Off-duty firefighter Stefon Douglas, 33, saved a 3-12 months-aged neighbor from her family’s burning property in Brooklyn.
Paul Martinka

At initial, Douglas tried using to combat his way by means of the flames and smoke in the entrance of the dwelling but didn’t have enough protecting equipment, he mentioned.

“I was just in a T-shirt, had shorts on and Crocs, and the heat was just way also considerably and the residence was way also massive to check out to execute a lookup,” Douglas mentioned.

So he made the decision to enter the dwelling by way of the facet and ran into a gentleman there utilizing a garden hose to try out to douse the flames, he reported. 

Off-duty firefighter Stefon Douglas with another FDNY member
Stefon Douglas (center) used a back garden hose in the course of the rescue.
Lloyd Mitchell

“I grabbed it from him,” Douglas reported of the hose. “I asked him, ‘Do you consider anyone’s in the house?’ He claimed, ‘There may well be two individuals.’ ” 

Douglas mentioned he then set his thumb on the hose’s nozzle to attempt to make extra force when shifting as close to the flames as the hose would permit.

He claimed he observed extra flames on the stove and experienced the water on that. 

Then he heard the girl.

House with firefighters standing in front of it
Douglas, 33, was headed household following doing the job at Motor 276 on Sunday night when he noticed smoke billowing from the Brooklyn dwelling.
Wayne Carrington

“I started off to hear whimpering, like a tiny cry,” he said. 

He followed the cry and finished up in what turned out to be a rest room. He was not able to see substantially by way of the thick smoke but managed to locate the crying tot, who was bare and crouched on the ground in between the rest room and sink.

“I grabbed her,” he reported. “I handed her off to the dude at the doorway.”

Douglas then picked the yard hose back up and continued to search for the possible 2nd trapped particular person. It turns out the child’s mother was nonetheless in the residence. She afterwards died from injuries from the blaze.

“I just utilised the hose to preserve the hearth from extending to an additional area or just at any time it received way too shut,” Douglas said of his frantic lookup for a second man or woman.

Ladder 159 ultimately arrived and tapped him out.

Citizen video shows a young girl being rushed to an ambulance after being pulled from a fire in her home.
The child’s mother afterwards died from injuries sustained for the duration of the blaze.

“[Other firefighters] were looking at me very weird because they have been like, ‘How does this dude have on a mask?’ ” Douglas stated. “But they did not know me right up until I took off my mask, and they have been like, ‘Whoa, Steph. What have been you doing here?’ ”

They have been stunned to listen to he saved the little one, he claimed.

“When I acquired outside, my mother and my sister ended up there, and they’re seeking at me like ‘What did you just do?’ ” he recalled. 

The minimal woman was rushed to the medical center in essential affliction but has given that pulled out of the woods and will endure, authorities mentioned. Her mom was uncovered in a bed room further more in the home’s interior and afterwards died, officials explained.

Douglas stated he felt poor that he wasn’t able to help save the mother but considers it divine intervention that he was there to conserve the youngster.

Typically, he would have been at get the job done at the time of the blaze, he stated, but he had to take his mother to surgical procedures in the early early morning, so he was returning dwelling previously.

“It just keeps playing in my head,” he claimed. “It just transpired that God aligned it so beautifully that I was heading house and bought on my block at that specific minute.”

Next Post

Summerlin home lists for $4.75M after full remodel

Positioned in Summerlin’s classic luxurious community Mountain Trails, the thoroughly renovated two-story estate on Glenrock Drive lists for $4.75 million via Anthony Spiegel with the Ivan Sher Group, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Nevada Qualities. “We’re in an financial state where by you’re able to get a dwelling like this for what […]